• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Max Towing within 1/2 ton Pickup Gas Trucks

Half-ton pickup trucks can pull different amounts of weight. The weight a truck can pull is called its towing capacity.

Ford F-450 is a good example of a half-ton truck. It can pull a lot of weight. But, the exact amount depends on the truck's engine and other parts.

To find the max towing for a specific truck (Google it) or, look at its sticker or ask the dealer.

Remember: Its not only about the towing capicity, but tougne weight is an equally important factor.
A Ford F450 isn't a half ton truck. Very few people buy them just to drive around. So I fail to see any comparison to a half ton F150 people mover with a bed.

I had another reply but lost it cuz I had to leave it because of a phone call, I'll add it again later

I pulled my 26' enclosed trailer with a 70 Challenger inside from Wisconsin to Ohio and back a couple times with my 440 powered 78 D150 Club cab truck with zero issues. The key to the whole towing thing is to use an equalizer hitch that distributes the weight throughout. It makes all the difference in the world IMO.

Not all 1/2 tons are the same.
My current 85 d150 has a 4800 gvw.
I e had several 1/2 tons from that era with gvw around 6000. The gvw is gross weight of the truck but it also plays into tow rating. The biggest difference is the rear springs had 1-2 more leaves than the lighter version, but it isn't as simple as adding heavier leaf springs.
If you take a 4800 gvw version and simply put heavier springs in and you get in a wreck, the cops etc are still going to go with the lighter rating of your truck. They don't know if the mods you made (or claimed to) did anything for the trucks work rating to help or hurt. How bout heavier ply tires? Bigger brakes? If your overloaded for YOUR truck as originally built, you're still screwed. Have people pulled more weight than they were supposed to? Sure happens all the time.
But to be on the safe side call your max rating the same as what it was originally rated for.
I had an 83 d 250. (May have it back soon, another story) I remember looking into this when I had it and there were 3 different gvw packages for a d250 THAT YEAR. I had the middle one.
The lighter one had a 9-1/4 rear with 8 lug axles. The middle one had a dana 60 and the heavier one (basically a d350 single rear wheel) had a dana 70. I'm looking at getting my d250 back for exactly this reason. At 7500 gvw it's rated much more than my 85 d150 with its 4800gvw.
And it don't matter if I leave it a 318 or swap in a built 440 the tow rating for "that" truck is what it is. (There weren't any with a factory 440 that year)

I will just keep the one ton and not have to worry about it.
If that doesn't do it we always have this to fall back on. Half tons are for the look at me I have a truck crowd. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Just remember the limitations.

IMG_20240828_154821.jpg

I have a situation here. Between my son and I we have everything to put my old 83 D250 back together. I loved that truck. Kicked myself for selling it. My cousin was about as smart as a wall with mechanical things. when the gas tank strap broke he parked it. "LMC dont have them, Im lost" Screw LMC. They cater to Chevy/Ford only like the rest. Anyway my son bought it back from him. He bought it for its engine of which I had put a whole new top end onto about 15 years before. He put alot of miles on that truck and knew how it ran when all was right with it. He bought it back for its engine and trans. a 318/727 that surprised a whole lotta folks when they saw what-all I did with that truck... how well it ran.
He had the body hoisted off and scrapped, between us we have a whole complete rustfree body to go back on..... gray cab. green bed, a choice of red, white, black, blue fenders/doors... a blue, brown or green hood.... green or white wheel wells...
a white or red radiator core support.... I have a guy lined up that said he would scuff and shoot all the pieces to match, we have a couple of possible engines between us....
Im wanting to put it all back together again "all 1 color/ originally it was marroon.... and build my own camper tow rig out of it.... I know my 85 d150, with its /6 won't pull my camper very well.... and my wife is wanting a different unit.... and I don't like the new trucks at all..... my solution to a D150 tow capacity is to put my old D250 back together....

Back