• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Ignition switches wirin

THE-HOG

Goddamn this truck and it's electricity
Reaction score
I put whole new wiring harnesses in my 75 w100 with the 5.2 & it cranked then, put a new ignition switch in and now it doesn't crank. The switch has 2 thick wires and 4 small wires. My big wires are correct but I don't think my small ones are and I can't figure out a way to correct it.

I did some searching and found this, but you said you have 6 wires

1726454019517.png

You need to find the wire that is only hot when the key is turned to hot. This needs to be connected to the wire going to the starter relay.

I looked up napa ks9961 for a wire diagram but get a Ford switch. I you have an ohm meter, find out which pair of wire give you continuity when the switch is turned all the way to start. Or if you have the 12v power lead hooked up, find the one that gives you 12v when turned to start. By the wire diagram , if correct, above this wire should connect to the yellow wire on the harness

Strange my 75 b300 has 5 wires, and the original wiring harness, I bought a new switch from car quest and it plugged straight into the stock connector

I looked up napa ks9961 for a wire diagram but get a Ford switch. I you have an ohm meter, find out which pair of wire give you continuity when the switch is turned all the way to start. Or if you have the 12v power lead hooked up, find the one that gives you 12v when turned to start. By the wire diagram , if correct, above this wire should connect to the yellow wire on the harness
There is no yellow on the harness, there is on the switch. I got two pairs with continuity. Black and blue when on, meaning those are my accessory and running ig. And on start yellow and brown go, meaning those are my start ig. And starter. When I wired the yellow to the pink for the starter, and brown to the medium size orange for start ig. And turned the key nothing happened

It's a universal switch, not brand specific, I did this test earlier today, see response to 58pwrwgn for outcomes

As stated when responding to 58, a blue and black when pwr on, yellow and brown when pwr start, unlabeled unknown. Also, is the windshield wiper switch a required component to crank for some reason? Wiring harness is the wires going in the plug. Saw the guy saying 6 wires is weird, it's a fac harness, with 6 going in the plug, and a universal switch with 6 coming out. I think 5 is probably weirder.

86AE5A64-C792-424D-BB25-E5FBD0A2E1F2.jpeg

5A4CE211-5003-47E0-BC81-118359ACE090.jpeg

789BC3EF-3484-4C00-B050-F3121001CC7C.jpeg

3C1FF3F9-0CD4-4230-A901-16386721C22E.jpeg

I put whole new wiring harnesses in my 75 w100 with the 5.2 & it cranked then, put a new ignition switch in and now it doesn't crank. The switch has 2 thick wires and 4 small wires. My big wires are correct but I don't think my small ones are and I can't figure out a way to correct it.

Why did you change the ignition switch if it cranked with the original switch?

Based on this picture . Best guess
Orange - start
Lite blue, your blue/white- accessories
Red - ignition run
Pink - ignition start
Black- batter
Orange - ???

Your switch. Best guess
Brown- start
Yellow- ignition start
Blue- ignition run
Black- accessories

What happened to the old switch that you are changing.
Has it been awhile since the truck hasn't been working.
If you think you have it wired correctly, you will next need to see if you get power at the starter relay.

Back