• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

79 Macho - gotta brag on this a little bit

captainchrysler

Reaction score
Earlier this summer I scored an incredible addition to my collection. A 1979 Dodge Macho with a lot of options and one of the rarest options you'll ever find in any late 70's Dodge pickup... a factory sunroof! It's a complete project, re-painted the wrong color (factory color is silver) w/ wrong stripes (77/78 style) but everything is there. Factory roll bar, wheels, 8-track, tilt, buckets, etc. But what made the deal (and my negotiating skills falter) is that factory sunroof.

The list of upgrades that it doesn't have are small. 9.25 rear axle, skid plate, vac/volt gauges, 4bbl, dual fuel tanks. There may be a few other things that's missing from being a 100% option vehicle, I'll find that out in a couple months when I lay hands on it.

thumbnail_IMG_0063.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0064.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0065.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0066.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0067.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0068.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0070.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0075.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0073.jpg

Pretty cool truck, my son is a big fan of those, there pretty hard to come by, looks like you got some work cut out for you there, i agree lots of cool options on it, just out of curiosity how do you know it's a factory sunroof without a build sheet? My son has a 80 SB Dodge that has some pretty unique options as well like a tilt wheel, cruise, some interesting opera lights on the cab sides etc, and it also has a sun roof that looks similar to yours we always assumed it was installed aftermarket? Is there some pentastar marks on it somewhere?

Overall size first, factory are usually on the large size. Aftermarket are universal so they can't get too large, and never match the curves of the roof right so they have a tendency to be smaller. and have poor trim quality on the inside especially.
Comparing it to pictures of what's in the dealership brochures, parts brake down, and details like what's in these pictures. And aftermarket sunroofs never match the curves of the roof right. And I have seen two others with factory sunroofs. 80 is slightly different that the 78/79 version.

thumbnail_IMG_0071.jpg

IMG-20240602-WA0006.jpg

Screenshot 2024-10-20 195746.jpg

Screenshot 2024-10-20 195808.jpg

Screenshot 2024-10-20 200600.jpg

Ok, good description, I'll look at my son's the next time at at his house, I do think his is a bit smaller and I don't think it's curved. Now are you sure the roofs are different on the 80? As far as I knew the only difference was the hood and cowl when they went from bird bath to the flat hood all the other body lines look exactly the same until the new body style came along in 81. BTW my son's 80 is exactly like your Macho, new style flat hood, quad square head lights, etc. In fact there is a car show he puts his truck in up here that only excepts vehicles from 79 down so he just enters it as a 79 to get in , know one can tell the difference.

Last edited:
Back