• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Overheating

DAVEAE

Reaction score
I have a 1979 Dodge B200 Camper van 360 motor A/C
On a hot day or in stop and go... it runs Too hot. Had it checked and re-cored the rad, changed the thermostat, has the 6 blade fan and it's all clean.
Seems this was a common problem with Mopar from this era.
Any other ideas I can do to make this better
Thanks

Does it have a fan shroud? Check your ignition timing, retarded timing can make an engine run hot

I have a 1979 Dodge B200 Camper van 360 motor A/C
On a hot day or in stop and go... it runs Too hot. Had it checked and re-cored the rad, changed the thermostat, has the 6 blade fan and it's all clean.
Seems this was a common problem with Mopar from this era.
Any other ideas I can do to make this better
Thanks
A FAN HROUD IS GOOD HOW many core rad do u have i should be a 3 or more core also what thermostat do u have?a 210 degree? try a mr gasket hi flow one most parts stores sell them try a 180 or a 150 degree i had a 72 new yorker if had a hrunnng ho issue too i ended up ueoing the 150 mr . gasket hiflow & A throustae heavy duty fan cllutch . u said it ovrer heated ? how ho was it? do u have a gd tempgsuge theat showe\s degreese?

Add an aftermarket electric fan. I had the same issue on my 56 Dodge, I had a hard time finding a rad that would fit and when I did it was a bit thinner than I wanted but as I was limited I used it anyway then it would run warm at idle even with a shroud , I ordered up a Amazon electric fan kit that was roughly the same footprint as my rad, there held to your rad with special plastic fasteners that go thu the rad core, you can hook to a dash switch or in my case hooked to a coolant temp switch so it goes off and on automaticly, just hook up the relays and wires included in the kit and your set! I think the whole kit was like $125.00 cdn funds....cheap! And truck runs cool now.

Add an aftermarket electric fan. I had the same issue on my 56 Dodge, I had a hard time finding a rad that would fit and when I did it was a bit thinner than I wanted but as I was limited I used it anyway then it would run warm at idle even with a shroud , I ordered up a Amazon electric fan kit that was roughly the same footprint as my rad, there held to your rad with special plastic fasteners that go thu the rad core, you can hook to a dash switch or in my case hooked to a coolant temp switch so it goes off and on automaticly, just hook up the relays and wires included in the kit and your set! I think the whole kit was like $125.00 cdn funds....cheap! And truck runs cooi bet u i beyt u didnt have a good heavy duty fan clutch meant fotr a motor wih ac . many parts stores store them standing up on teir parts sheavles his wil caue te fan clutch to faoil the must be stored laying flat face up . te electric fan will work but they never put them on a car/ truck from the facory . dd u bore tye motor? that will caiusea motor to over heat too

Thanks for Your responses!! Shroud is in place, timing right on. Couldn't find a 3 core rad that would fit and wasn't worth more than the van. I'm going to give the add on fan a shot. I have one but couldn't get to mount well enough. Looks like the amazon one solves that problem.

well get a 2 core aluminum one or get a 3 core coper/brass one& mske it fit the c bod rad r the biggest made + they wa made to cool the big old boats of cars . i still think u need the right fan clutch i wth we was closer someime its better to c iperson than by emails

Thanks for Your responses!! Shroud is in place, timing right on. Couldn't find a 3 core rad that would fit and wasn't worth more than the van. I'm going to give the add on fan a shot. I have one but couldn't get to mount well enough. Looks like the amazon one solves that problem.
Correction. It has a 3 core rad. I couldn't find a 4 core

6 blade OEM fan. no clutch. Couldn't make the rad opening bigger because of the A/C condenser but that might be part of the problem... but shouldn't be

4 core was called a motorhome may full sie gms have 4 cores
My Rad guy was pretty good and we looked at a lot of options. ended up re coring it to make it more efficient with more tubes... it was better but not enough

6 blade OEM fan. no clutch. Couldn't make the rad opening bigger because of the A/C condenser but that might be part of the problem... but shouldn't be
thars y its over heating the clutch adds speed to the fan whenbthead is hot it old school moter cooling ess the van a ac van? it sould had the max cool rad & CLUTCH FAN

The fan clutch is a common problem after a few decades. If it tries to spin too fast they can slip because there's not enough internal resistance, too slow and there's not enough internal resistance to transfer movement to the blade.
to I have a similar problem on a 77 Dodge van, but just over 65 on the interstate (loaded or not), 63 and it runs just fine on the temp gauge.

thars y its over heating the clutch adds speed to the fan whenbthead is hot it old school moter cooling ess the van a ac van? it sould had the max cool rad & CLUTCH FAN
No fan clutch.. fan is direct drive. I can't see that factory components were any different here in Canada. Yes checked it with a thermometer. the gauge isn't lying to me

It's kinda long shot but... I have seen water pumps that are just worn out, meaning the impeller blades have just eroded away. That's a big pain in the ass to swap one out on a hunch but it kinda sounds like that's all that's left?

It's kinda long shot but... I have seen water pumps that are just worn out, meaning the impeller blades have just eroded away. That's a big pain in the ass to swap one out on a hunch but it kinda sounds like that's all that's left?
I thought of that but rig has only 60k mi. Might try it with out a thermostat

Don't go with Mr Gasket brand (AKA Holley and rebranded as a few others) even though it's a copy of the original Robert-Shaw style. 100% failure rate on them in a few different applications. Get a good one from NAPA.
As a side note I always drill an 1/8 hole in the side just to let the air through to prevent air locking. Most vehicles for the last 30 years have had a 'jiggle valve' in that does the same thing.

No fan clutch.. fan is direct drive. I can't see that factory components were any different here in Canada. Yes checked it with a thermometer. the gauge isn't lying to me
OK WELL ORDER A HYDEN HEADTU FAN CLUTCH FROM THE PSRTS SORE & HOPEFULLY IYT WAS STIRED RIGHT WITH IS LAYING FLT BUT IN YUR SITUAION A PUSHER ELECRRIC FAN& FAN THERMOSTAT MAY BE YUR BES BET . I DONT LIKE THM DUE TO THE EXTRA DRAW RTHEY PUT O THE BATTERY . U C I HAVE A MOPAR RESTERATION YARD CLOSE TO ME . U REDDY NEED A FAN SHROUD FOR BETER COOLING . HAVE FUN TEXT CLAYTN @ 314-578-7866 & C IF HE HASA SHROUD FOR YUR RADIATOR & A 5-7 BLADE FAN& CLUTCH FOR THE VAN H SHIPS ALL OVR TE WORLD THEY R GOOD FOLKS

clays card (2).jpg

Back