• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Oil pressure sender

dogface

Reaction score
I have a 1988 Dodge pickup 318 engine. Gauge in dash would hardly move off bottom so I put a hard line oil pressure gauge and it read 40-60 pounds idle so I changed out the sending unit. Still very little movement on dash gauge, bad gauge or wiring? Oil light does go out after starting, pulled pan, checked bearing (they look like they were just replaced) replaced oil pump also.
Thoughts?

Sounds pretty obvious; the gauge is shot.
You can OHM test the wire but if it moves at all something is getting through, so it's not broken. High resistance in a wire like that would be very unusual. That part of the system only uses around 4 volts, it doesn't take much of a wire to keep up with that.

You are using a gauge sending unit instead of one for an idiot light. Should look like a round can about 2" tall.

You are using a gauge sending unit instead of one for an idiot light. Should look like a round can about 2" tall.
I know what you’re saying but Not on this truck, I found 4 trucks in junk yards with the same sender as mine (got them all plus wire ends) all 4 do the same thing, gauge maces a little. I’ll go back and get a cluster for the gauge to change out.

Have you checked incoming voltage to the gauge? Not the wire to the sending unit. You should get a reading of 5.5 volts. Anything over that will affect the gauge reading.

Have you checked incoming voltage to the gauge? Not the wire to the sending unit. You should get a reading of 5.5 volts. Anything over that will affect the gauge reading.
I’ll do that, the other gauges are reading ok. I’ve had the cluster out a few times I might have knocked something loose

Back