• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

no injector pulse

Fixitmg

Reaction score
I have a 2001 5.9 I put into a 78 w300. motor ran fine in the donor truck before removing it.
I have wired it all up but I am missing something. when it was first installed it ran about 30 seconds before dyeing. I have followed the instructions that Jamie has used on the dead dodge site.
I am missing the injector driver from the PCM, I have spark, fuel pressure, and no pulse.
I have replaced both the distributor /cam sensor and the crank sensor. with no help at all.
there has to be someone who can chat me through this. Please help!!

I bought a wreck recently, dude said it drove , NOPE, no start, this thing flew thru a ditch, bent frame bad. Had multiple guys help with ideas and diagnostic equipment. The one suggestion was the sensor under the battery, if that's not retained in the swap it might screw with the ecm. For me it wasn't this, worse, the dude fried the ecm frigging with the bent truck. Had a spare ecm, truck runs fine. Hopefully for you it's just a simple wire issue.

I have been doing testing so here is what I have, it still won't run.
I have back probed the PCM for the crank and cam sensors and I get a flashing 5 volts, And I have a ground to all the sensors. so I am leaning towards the PCM. It is getting everything I can think off to run but won't.
I have retained the battery sensor so I doubt that is the problem , but I have thought about it.

I did check for codes, only had a few Evap codes nothing that would have stopped it from running.
I did fix the truck but have decided to type this out so the next person can chace the problem down as I had to.
I had back probed the wires going to the PCM for the cam and crank sensors and measured the voltage going into the PCM from the sensors and found there to be a flashing 5 volts as it was cranked, which I had.
So I replaced the PCM with a used one I bought at the local junk yard and it fired right up.
I don't know what happened to the PCM from the donor truck to the installed truck but it lost the ability to make the injectors flash.

For some reason sometimes PCM's just up and die. We had a Dakota at the shop earlier this summer, it's a 98 with very low miles. He started it and drove it out of his storage building and up to his house. Shut it off in his garage, went out later and it wouldn't start. We got it and found a bad PCM.

Back