• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Need help on a steering column adding PS to a 1969 D200

Caryt

Reaction score
I have a 1969 D200 with a 360 without power steering. Bought a kit from Easy Street.
No instructions, no help.
Steering shaft I have been told by Classic is a collapsible shaft. In talking to them the shaft has to be moved in.
I cannot get it to move, it has to be pushed in min 1.5" so the new power steering box will fit.

Guy at Classic is great but they didn't engineer this kit only sell the parts so no first hand knowledge.

Anyone do this kit if so how did they get the shaft to push in?

Thanks!

There is a couple plastic tabs on the shaft and they can be pressed back by collapsing the shaft like in a accident. I would just unbolt the steering column then put the box in place then reinstall the column best way

To get the steering shaft to push in, try these steps:

Check for Obstructions – Look for any parts or debris blocking the shaft from moving.

Apply Lubricant – Use a penetrating oil or lubricant on the shaft and connections to help it move.

Use a Pry Bar – Gently use a pry bar or similar tool to push the shaft in. Be careful not to damage it.

Heat the Area – If needed, apply heat to the area around the shaft (but not directly on it) to expand the metal slightly.

Consult a Mechanic – If you still can’t move it, consider taking it to a mechanic who can help with this specific issue.

Getting the shaft to move may take some effort, so be patient and cautious.

Back