• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

conversion to automatic transmission

bkuster

Reaction score
i just bought an89 d100 with a 5 speed manual transmission. i prefer automatics and have located a transmission. is it extremely difficult to convert to an automatic? will i find linkages and shifter fairly easily? any other pitfalls? also, i am considering a mild lowering of the truck but do not want to satisfy ride quality... there don't appear to many kits available. any advice?

If you want a column shifter, you will need a different column and the linkage. You will also need the TV linkage or an aftermarket cable kit. Like the one from lokar. You could go with an aftermarket floor shifter. I have seen guys talk about lowering and the B van lower control arm swap seems to be the way to go

89 is EFI, that will require a computer swap to run right. If you put an overdrive trans in then there's all the extra modules/modules that go under the dash too.

If he gets a trans 95-older there isn't much "computer control" needed. Can do both functions by toggle switch

I just put a complete 90 drive train in a 73. There is an extra module under the dash for the automatic (not there with the 5 speed 90 I had) AND the OD stitch is also a minor processor that controls that function. Because starting in about 88 adaptive shifting became a thing, essentially it kinda learns your driving habits and adjusts some of the shifting behaviors accordingly.

Making something simply function or work right are two different things.

I want nothing to do with efi. Not the Dodge throttle body setup anyway. Carbs are much less headaches for me

I just put a complete 90 drive train in a 73. There is an extra module under the dash for the automatic (not there with the 5 speed 90 I had) AND the OD stitch is also a minor processor that controls that function. Because starting in about 88 adaptive shifting became a thing, essentially it kinda learns your driving habits and adjusts some of the shifting behaviors accordingly.

Making something simply function or work right are two different things.
Did not take full effect in Chrysler vehicles until 2001 I believe. But could be wrong. I have 1993 and 1999 overdrive units that can still be switched off and on.

Back