• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Brake splitter valve

dogface

Reaction score
What most wrongly call a proportional valve. Can they still be bought new (1988 Dodge) or do I have to scrounge one from the yards?

I think you can buy a rebuild kit for your proportioning valve yet. What makes you think they are not a proportioning valve. That is exactly what they are. Front discs need almost twice the PSI as the rear drums do. That valve regulates the pressure allowed to the rear drums. If yours is missing, I think your best bet is a salvage yard or Ebay.

I think you can buy a rebuild kit for your proportioning valve yet. What makes you think they are not a proportioning valve. That is exactly what they are. Front discs need almost twice the PSI as the rear drums do. That valve regulates the pressure allowed to the rear drums. If yours is missing, I think your best bet is a salvage yard or Ebay.
You’re sadly mistaken on that comment. It’s for safety only in case either front or back go out, the reason for a DUAL master cylinder, they’re NOT connected. Some vehicles did have a proportions valve but was in the line going to the back brakes. Normally they put small drums in back to not lock up then later came the anti-lock system to fix that problem.

You’re sadly mistaken on that comment. It’s for safety only in case either front or back go out, the reason for a DUAL master cylinder, they’re NOT connected. Some vehicles did have a proportions valve but was in the line going to the back brakes. Normally they put small drums in back to not lock up then later came the anti-lock system to fix that problem.
Keep on dreaming.

Keep on dreaming.
Chrysler corporation sent me to school on brakes systems, but I might have been dreaming those days.
Would you like some diagrams showing the plunger that moves back and forth IF one side of the system breaks a line? It’s real simple a child can understand the principle.

I understand the reasoning for the dual bowls in the master cylinder. I also understand plunger principle and what it does. I didn't have to go to school for any of that. What started this issue is the fact that you stated the proportioning valve is not a proportioning valve. Apparently you were sleeping in class when they were explaining why it is in fact a proportioning valve and how it works .You see any time you have a disc brake / drum brake combination, you have to have a proportioning valve. They would have also explained that the vacuum booster, (or unboosted) when applied, sends enough pressure to the master cylinder to activate the discs which need about twice as much pressure as do the drums. Both master cylinder bowls get the same pressure. Therefore, the proportioning valve's job is to cut down the pressure to the rear drums in order to not lock them up. It is a simple principle but I guess some kids can't understand it. If you want to call it a splitter valve, that is fine since it does that also.

Maybe called a brake splitter valve on new vehicles with disk on both ends. Disk and drum systems had proportioning valves. Antient drum and drum system use a simple splitter fitting. So now you want to get into hydro-boost, ABS and air brakes.
Great the Chrysler set you to school for brakes. Does that mean you know any more than the rest of us that have been working on them since before that 1988 was new? I have had Chrysler training myself and hold three associate degrees in mechanics. Been turning wrenches for 50 years. So ok! you've had Chrysler training.

If you want your valve because you don't have one, used parts would be your best bet.

I understand the reasoning for the dual bowls in the master cylinder. I also understand plunger principle and what it does. I didn't have to go to school for any of that. What started this issue is the fact that you stated the proportioning valve is not a proportioning valve. Apparently you were sleeping in class when they were explaining why it is in fact a proportioning valve and how it works .You see any time you have a disc brake / drum brake combination, you have to have a proportioning valve. They would have also explained that the vacuum booster, (or unboosted) when applied, sends enough pressure to the master cylinder to activate the discs which need about twice as much pressure as do the drums. Both master cylinder bowls get the same pressure. Therefore, the proportioning valve's job is to cut down the pressure to the rear drums in order to not lock them up. It is a simple principle but I guess some kids can't understand it. If you want to call it a splitter valve, that is fine since it does that also.
Do you have a reading problem? What I wrote is, What’s WRONGLY called a ‘proportion’ valve. A picture shows the true name for both, which are not connected. Learn something before writing what you read on the internet.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I read your first sentence just fine. That was why I responded the way I did. You apparently have an understanding issue. You should have paid a little more attention in school or asked better questions. I can't help you! We are done here.

I read your first sentence just fine. That was why I responded the way I did. You apparently have an understanding issue. You should have paid a little more attention in school or asked better questions. I can't help you! We are done here.
No I made it clear to bad YOU can’t read well, read it 5 more times.

Back