• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1954 3/4 ton tie rod replacement

MattyR

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a 1954 Chevy 3600 3/4 ton on my hoist. The photo below is the badly damaged drivers side tie rod end. I have located a new aftermarket replacement, but would like to know if anyone has a source for a good used one? The rebuild kit is inexpensive and the passenger side is rebuildable.
Follow up questions...
1) Should there be a bushing/washer/etc between the end of the tie rod bolt to the steering arm on the hub? Will a simple polyurethane boot that covers it be sufficient?
2) How far should the threaded end cap be inserted? I know there is an opening for a cotterpin so it has to be lined up, but I'm not sure how much to 'torque' it (I know we aren't actually torquing it, but the more it is threaded down, the more snug the threaded ball stud will be.
Thank you in advance
Bovey Truck 2.jpg

I have always bottomed the nut. Then turn back so the pin can be installed. Then pump it full of grease.

If I remember correctly ( Old Fart so I have Done them - But Old Fart so I forget!). That threaded piece is there for the tension adjustment on that connection of those parts. Inside there should be two parts (the threaded part is no.3 and is also the "adjuster", the 2 parts should be a cup and a spring. Clean out the grease, Cup goes in then spring then the threaded adjuster. Snug it up ( snug NOT grit your teeth) back it out 1/2-1 turn. The end ,again if I remember correctly, as I do not see it in the picture, had a place for a roll pin or cotter pin, to hold it in place after it was adjusted. If it were me I would scribe a mark on the link as to where you ended up putting the adjuster, and add some thread locker (strong) to the threads so it won't move, the scribe mark will make it easy to look at it and see that it is staying in place. And then LUBE IT. And a bit of heat will soften the thread locker if you need to remove it and/or readjust it! But save your money and get the new part, so it can be secured CORRECTLY!
PS: there must be something on line about? Did you look? I think that part was just called a drag link. try how to adjust an adjustable drag on (put model and year of truck)

Its got a cotter pin ro keep it from turning. Forget the it's got to be used every where thread locker. They never came from the factory with it. It held together for 60 years so why now?

Back